I get on average of over 500 emails each day from my various sites and activities. Quite a few are folks asking for my help, advice or direction.
Probably several times each week I get email about all the “silly Thank You emails” folks get and how to make them stop. Who would have thought that one would complain about being thanked! Well it’s happening — more often than you may think.
As I’ve written before, I always welcome “silly Thank You emails.”? Thank you emails remind me that they appreciate the time I spent helping them and they make me smile . Unfortunately, for all the questions asked and thoughtful responses given, rare are the Thank Yous to follow.
So when do you send a “Thank You!” email?
- When you send an email asking questions that need the person on the other side to stop what they are doing and offer you the answers you seek. To guarantee your future requests get answered? a nice “I appreciate your advice — thank you!” goes a long way.
- When you send an email asking someone to do something for you that maybe you don’t want to spend the time figuring out yourself. If you don’t want to take the time and the person on the other side does so on your behalf a quick “Thank so much for taking the time to help me out!” is simply the right thing to do.
- When you let the other side know you appreciate their efforts on an email, ezine or newsletter you receive, a quick “Thank You” email works wonders to let them know to keep plugging away.
- ?If you sent a curt, blunt or demanding email asking for help due to being frustrated — why not take the time to thank the person on the other side?? This will increase the chance that they won’t cringe next time they see your name in their inbox!
- Anytime, anywhere that another onliner takes the time, makes the time to help, cajole, humor or offer aid is the time to send a “Thank You!” email.
Well, I think I’ve covered it all. It is a sad commentary on how few take the time to show gratitude for those who help them out. Those are probably the very same folks who complain about the “incessant thank-you” emails out there!
To those who thank me; those who enjoy my tips, my Blog or my free courtesy services — don’t worry about annoying me. You always put a smile on my face and let me know my efforts on the thankless job of promoting proper E-mail Etiquette are worth every key stroke.
And for that, I Thank You!