This week I was surprised at the number of legit email that landed in my Junk/Trash box. This led to the idea for a post offering you Subject field tips to help you avoid your emails from looking spammy.
Networks across the Internet have spam filters and “flags” that look for certain criteria in an email to give it a “spam score”. Do a bunch of things that are typical of spam emails and you risk your emails will be blocked or land in the spam folder
Your Subject field is just one of the important parts of an email that is looked at to determine an email’s “spamminess” factor. So let’s jot down some easy Subject field tips to keep in mind!
Don’t be Spammy Subject Field Tips
- The Subject field will determine whether your email gets opened. 35% of respondents cited the “Subject line” as the most important factor motivating them to open emails — or not. Or worse marking them has junk or spam. Be clear and choose your words carefully.
- Do not send an email without crafting a relevant Subject: that reflects the actual content of your email. Never send an email with a blank Subject: field — that’s very spammy!
- Do not use the recipient’s name in the Subject field. This is typical of spammers or automated email programs.
- Use proper punctuation and capitalization in the Subject field.
- Refrain from using multiple !!! or ???.
- The Subject field is for the Subject of the email. Do not put an http: link in the Subject line. Don’t put the entire message or just a question in the Subject field with nothing in the message box. (That’s uber spammy!)
- Refrain from using terms such as Help, Hi or Please Respond. Refrain from using the terms you see spammers using!
- When replying to an email, always leave the original Subject intact so the recipient knows you are replying to their specific inquiry.
Put These Anti-spam Tips to Work
These tips will help to make sure your email are not incorrectly identified as spam, blocked or unrecognized by the intended recipient. By taking the above into consideration you can help to avoid your email from being blocked or deleted before read!